Historic Longerenong College is one of Australia’s leading tertiary institutions specialising in agriculture and land-management.
Established in 1889 by the Council of Agricultural Education, we opened our doors with an enrolment of just 20 students. Original courses were aimed at the sons of farmers who required the equivalent of second year of high school to enrol. Exams were held on Saturday mornings and farm work and classes were often held at night and on weekends. With a strict “lights out” at 10pm rule, no alcohol allowed on the premises and mandatory attendance at church, students would eagerly await the monthly dances, when a busload of girls would arrive from Horsham.
In 1972, the College proudly became one of the first agricultural colleges to accept female students.
The number of female students swelled in 2015 to the point where females outnumbered the males for the first time in the history of the college.
Within our first year of operation, Longerenong was taken over by the Department of Agriculture who ran it until it became part of the Victorian College of Agriculture and Horticulture (VCAH).
In 1993, the VCAH became a school of the University of Melbourne and by mid-1997, VCAH was formally amalgamated with the University’s Faculty of Agriculture, Horticulture and Forestry to form the Institute of Land and Food Resources.
The College remained a campus of the Institute of Land and Food Resources until the end of 2005 when the University of Melbourne withdrew responsibility and our courses and training was awarded to WORKCO Limited, now rebranded to Skillinvest Limited.
Today, we are fondly known as Longy!
Drawing upon our rich educational history, we keep ahead of industry needs, providing students with access to modern agricultural practices and hands on training. We’re proud to stand at the agricultural forefront, carving out dynamic futures for our students.